Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hello, I'm baa-ack!

Hiatus [hahy-ey-tuhs] noun: A break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc.

Or, in simple terms and specifically in relation to this blog: being slack. And a bit busy. But mostly slack.

Apologies to anyone who's missed my posts in recent weeks (I like to think there are some of you out there). I've missed it too. I've also missed the time and energy it takes to maintain it.

I know I've no right to the time-poor complaint when there are people with children, and especially people with paid jobs and children, coping with being far busier and much more harried than me. But that doesn't negate the fact that I have been busy, and, more to the point, feeling busy.

I'm someone who, when faced with the promise of ample free time, likes to make the most of it and attempt to use it constructively (provided this constructive activity is also enjoyable. Like blogging. Not like ironing). I also like routine (to a point - day after day of doing the 9ish-5ish thing became as much fun as going to a Justin Bieber concert every night of your life. Or even for one night of your life, for that matter).

I like to know where I'll be and what I'll be doing at what time, and when I will have the opportunity to do my own thing. That way I can organise myself. Up to a month or two ago I had free time and routine aplenty: go to work from 6am to 2pm, Monday to Friday. An hour or two for houseworky stuff at home. And the rest of the day was mine.

This system functioned quite well for a while. Then work went haywire. Regular hours and weeks were out. In were sporadic days off and shifts that lurched from 9 hours to 11 to 7 to 12. (Don't worry about getting out the violins - I've had my sook, followed it up with a tablespoon of cement powder and am over it now, thank you.)

Anyway, the lack of routine left me feeling all at sea, and the lack of free time left me, well, not-free. Obviously. In the midst of this I moved to a different department (from gold room to the lab) and was therefore learning a whole new job. Which meant for the first time in several months I actually had to concentrate. My brain, while loving being engaged again, didn't know what hit it and went a bit fuggy for the first few days.

Ultimately, I simply didn't have the willpower to also blog at the end of the day (ie was slack). Not that I even had anything to blog about. My weeks were consumed with work and, fascinating as that work is, the thrills of hitting the on/off button of a pump 20,000 times a day, or squirting solution into test tubes 5000 times, are hardly blog-worthy topics*.

Now, however, I'm pleased to report I've got a handle on the new job. And am extremely pleased to report am on a regular and generous roster that should allow me to heartily indulge my blogging habit.

So this is my longwinded way of saying sorry for going AWOL, but I'm back now and would love for you to stay tuned. Pretty please!


* Figures are estimates only and may be slightly exaggerated.

Image source: Flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...